Citation
Decayed Morung, open to the elements, only the carved centre post remains (Image number R.029, J.P. Mills Photographic Collection)

Material Information

Title:
Decayed Morung, open to the elements, only the carved centre post remains (Image number R.029, J.P. Mills Photographic Collection)
Series Title:
J.P. Mills Photographic Collection
Creator:
Mills, J. P. (James Philip), 1890-1960.
Hobson, Geraldine ( contributor )
Publication Date:
Materials:
B&W photographic print 9.5x7 cm ( medium )

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Dormitories ( lcsh )
Morung
एशिया -- भारत -- नगालैंड -- कोहिमा जिला
এশিয়া -- ভারত -- নাগাল্যান্ড
Naga (South Asian people) ( lcsh )
Naga ( ethnicity )
Southern Rengma Naga Naga ( ethnicity )
नागा ( ethnicity )
Spatial Coverage:
Asia -- India -- Nagaland -- Kohima District -- Tesophenyu
Coordinates:
25.973529 x 94.210329

Notes

Abstract:
A decayed Morung, open to the elements, only the carved centre post remaining. In villages where the Mission had influence, converts were forbidden to use the Morung, on the grounds that it was a "heathen institution". Where a Morung fell into disuse, the traditions associated with it usually died too. ( en )
General Note:
Date of photograph: [1919-1937], © 1937
General Note:
Copyright held by the Estate of J.P. Mills. The Estate is currently (2015) represented by Geraldine Hobson.
General Note:
This item may be used under license: Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial (CC BY-NC)
General Note:
This image is part of album R. This album consists exclusively of photographs of the Rengmas, many ofwhich were published in J.P. Mills' 'The Rengma Nagas, (1937). At the time this monograph was written, the Rengmas were one of the smallest of the Naga tribes, numbering about 6,300 in the 1931 census. They are divided into two groups, the Western Rengmas and the Eastern Rengmas. At the time of Mills' research, the latter had only been administered for fourteen years, so were an interesting subject for an anthropological study. They were geographically isolated from the Western section of the tribe, who had been administered for much longer. The Eastern Rengmas (today Pochuri) have only three villages, Meluri, Sahunyu and Lephori, of which Meluri is by far the largest. Their territory adjoins the Southern Sangtams to the north and east, the Eastern Angamis on the west and the Tangkhuls to the south. The Western Rengmas are bounded on the south by Angamis, to the east by Semas and on the north and west by Lhotas. They are further divided into Northern (Ntenyi) and Southern (Nzong) sections, speaking entirely different languages and adopting many differing customs.
General Note:
Originally collected in Album R of the "J.P. Mills Photographic Collection". (Held in the SOAS, University of London, Archives and Special Collections.)
General Note:
Mills, J. P. (James Philip), 1890-1960. The Rengma Nagas. London : Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1937. (LCCN: 37039518)
General Note:
VIAF ID: 2475026 (name authority) : Mills, J.P. (James Philip), 1890-1960
General Note:
VIAF ID: 24095368 (name authority) : Hobson, Geraldine
General Note:
Ethnologue reference: http://www.ethnologue.com/search/search_by_page/naga%20rengma

Record Information

Source Institution:
SOAS, University of London
Holding Location:
Archives and Special Collections
Rights Management:
Image: © 1937, The Estate of J.P. Mills. Text: © 1996, Geraldine Hobson.
Resource Identifier:
PP MS 58/02/R/29 ( CALM Reference )