Citation
Front wall of St. Mary's Church, Consular Rd., Chefoo

Material Information

Title:
Front wall of St. Mary's Church, Consular Rd., Chefoo
Alternate Title:
Front wall of Saint Mary's Catholic Church, Consular Road, Chefoo
Alternate Title:
聖瑪麗天主教堂(中國煙台市)
Alternate Title:
圣玛丽天主教堂(中国烟台市
Alternate Title:
Photograph of the front wall of St. Mary's Church, Consular Rd., Chefoo
Creator:
[Fergusson, Thomas Tierney, 1818-1891] ( Photographer )
[Fergusson, Thomas Tierney (fl 1861), trader] ( contributor )
Place of Publication:
Chefoo
Publisher:
[unpublished photograph]
Publication Date:
Language:
English

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
亞洲 -- 中國 -- 山東省 -- 煙台市 -- 朝陽街
亚洲 -- 中国 -- 山东省 -- 烟台市 -- 朝阳街
Spatial Coverage:
Asia -- China -- Shandong -- Yantai -- Chao Yang Jie
Coordinates:
37.543934 x 121.401989

Notes

General Note:
Identification of the person standing in the road is unknown
General Note:
Yantai, previously known as Chefoo, is located in present day (2020) Shandong province
General Note:
Chefoo was designated a treaty port by Treaty of Tientsin 1858
General Note:
Consular Road is now known as 朝阳街 (Chao Yang Jie)
General Note:
Thomas Tierney Fergusson founded the trading firm of Fergusson & Co in 1861 following the establishment of a treaty port at Chefoo [Yantai]. Until 1889 he traded alone but then went into partnership with John Pender Wake. According to Frances Wood, author of No dogs and not many Chinese: Treaty port life in China 1843-1943 , "Chefoo was never much of a trading port, with only four foreign trading firms (three of them British) active in 1891, shipping beancake, vermicelli, peanuts, silks, hairnets, lace and fruits." During his time in Chefoo Fergusson was a staunch supporter of the Catholic St Mary's Church and of the Catholic Mission there. Fergusson went on leave to England in 1889, dying there unexpectedly, on 22nd November 1890. The firm Fergusson & Co continued under new ownership for a number of years but Fergusson's property was managed through agents in China, first by his widow, Anna Fergusson and, after her death, in 1908 by his daughter Anne Marie Madeleine, wife of Admiral Sir Charles Henry Coke. During Lady Coke's life the property was sold off in various lots, the last being sold in 1940.

Record Information

Source Institution:
SOAS University of London
Holding Location:
Special Collections
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
MS 380715 ( SOAS manuscript number )

Downloads

This item has the following downloads: